28 October 2006

Fit to be untied

I took off my tie, mostly because it was tied poorly, but also because I am now officially a Barack Obama fan. The 35 minute presentation was good. I have heard two senators speak live: John McCain and, now, Barack Obama.

Obama was definitely the better of the two. His eloquence was checked by a healthy amount of "um"s, but his message was simpler and much less aggressive. Where McCain was "We need nuclear energy! I support my President!", Obama was "Um, why do we have to politicize health care?"

Right now I'm listening to Lee Gutkind and Melissa Fay Greene. They are much funnier than I anticipated. Coming into this discussion I have mixed feelings about the label "creative non-fiction." Why not just call it "good writing" or "engaging journalism"?

The label seems more apt after hearing them discuss their work and projects. They are extremely creative with their approach to subjects. This is really enthralling. Greene especially: "They say even Mother Thereasa was no Mother Thereasa." Right now Gutkind is discussing the writer's decisions regarding their role in the "narrative" all in the context of his work mentoring a bi-polar teenager.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home